Rush Limbaugh has his . . . well, here is mine. This is my record of news stories and issues that interest me. You can also find more headlines at the site where I serve as editor: The Common Voice.

Friday, June 22, 2007

What an ordeal!

I got on my bike last night for the first time since Monday. I had a funny feeling that it was going to be an interesting ride, but I decided to do the US Pro Cycling route.

My stomach wasn't feeling that great and I was kind of tired from changes in my schedule. Still, I headed out and by the time I got into the park, I was thinking to myself that this wouldn't be so bad. I had finished a lap of the park and was about to head downtown when I looked to check my heart rate. My monitor wasn't there!

I turned around and backtracked, scanning the road for the watch. This particular HRM is a watch and you can mount on your handlebars. I ended up riding all the way back to East North Street. As I started the climb I heard a car hit something and saw something black pop up into the air. Instantly, I knew what it was. It was the rubber holder that goes between the watch and the handlebar.

I got off the bike, picked up the holder, and then started to look for the watch. Up the road a little farther I saw portions of the wrist band. As I got closer, I was able to see multiple piece of the monitor. It was gone.

Home seemed kind of inviting at that point, but I got back on to finish what I had started. Back through the park and over the Pete Hollis. As I approached that road, I grabbed my gel bot to get some gel and water. No gel - just odd tasting water. Sure enough, my flask cylinder had fallen down in the bottle.

Then on to Paris Mountain. At the base I had averaged 18 mph - that wasn't so bad considering. Ahead of me just as I turned up Altamont was another rider. It would be nice to have some company. I came up behind him and we started to climb. I shifted down to the lower gears and my chain started jumping causing me to lose momentum and ticking me off. The last three rings on my rear cassett just would not work. The chain would slip back and forth. So, I had to go in a harder ring. Well, the guy in front of me was spinning away - and pulling away.


Finally over the top and back home without further problems. As I came back through Cleveland Park, I noticed I had put in 27 miles to the point. It kind of surprised me. By the time I got home it was 34 miles. That ended up being a positive.

I hope to get my attitude straightened out before trying to go out again. Also on my to do list is to get that derailer fixed and see if I can get a new HRM off of eBay. I'm looking at the Garmin e305.



Post a Comment

<< Home